The Finest Details.
2016-17 Chief Academic Officer Academy Session Schedules
Our next National CAO Academy is being held in Chicago, IL.
- September 9+10, 2016
- October 21+22, 2016
- December 2+3, 2016
- January 27+28, 2017
- February 10+11, 2017
Click Link to Download 2017 CAO Brochure
2017 National Chief Academic Officer Academy
Increased state and federal accountability systems have radically shifted the focus of schools and the role of educational leaders. While high standards for students are important, in and of themselves they don’t guarantee student success. Many students in fact are not succeeding. Schools have not changed enough to meet increased expectations. We continue to see that the preparation and professional development for school leaders is outdated and based conditions that no longer exist. Before we can redesign schools, we must redesign the systems and programs that prepare our educational leaders and teachers.
The National Chief Academic Officers Academy was created by Atlantic Research Partners and is based on the understanding and belief that effective district and school leadership is paramount to school success and requires a new system for preparing and supporting today’s CAO’s. Our academy program includes tactical, researched-based, data driven strategies tailored to the specific role of CAO’s.
We are pleased to announce that this robust, interactive Academy will be launched in the Fall of 2016 in Chicago! The design of the National Chief Academic Officers Academy offers an intensive professional development experience that includes a balance of theory, demonstration, practice with feedback, and peer coaching and follow-up.
The National CAO Academy curriculum will be a coherent program with all elements focused on preparing aspiring and novice CAOs who want to help build accountable, high-performing school systems. The following are key topics of the Academy:
- Examine the impact of leadership on teaching, instruction and student learning
- Understand the tenants of effective leadership that includes data-based decision making, and role of accountability in achieving school improvement
- Study the role of leadership standards on defining practice
- Explore the importance of distributing key leadership functions
- Articulating a personal leadership vision
- Identify personal leadership skills and knowledge
- Importance of developing collaborative structures as well as a vision for shared responsibility and distributive leadership
Who Should Attend?
- Aspiring Chief Academic Officer Candidates
- Chief Academic Officers who wish to deepen their practice
- School Principals
- High Performing Regional Administrators
Features of the Academy
The National CAO Academy program will be 10 days in duration. Every participant will complete a skill assessment as part of the orientation process and will have an individual learning plan to guide their learning.
Relevant, Updated and Cutting Edge Curriculum
- A coherent curriculum focused on preparing CAOs to help in changing school districts from a culture of adult entitlement to a culture of performance, developing accountable systems.
Experienced, Highly Successful Faculty
- A program taught by a cadre of highly successful experienced educators, public sector, and private sector executives—all of whom have been successful in significantly increasing organizational performance.
- Those selected for participation in the program will be outstanding, high performing leaders. The program will also be open to outstanding charter and private school system leaders as well as high performing executives from the military, private sector, and other not-for-profit organizations. Participation will be limited, and applications will be screened for the highest quality candidates.
Benefits of a School District Having a Cohort Member
Graduates better understand the role of superintendent and can better support their superintendent;
Graduates are better prepared to be high performing in their current role:
Graduates who move on to a superintendency reflect positively on the district and it is a useful recruiting and retention tool for rising stars;
Graduates who move on to the superintendency bring distinction to their current district as one that develops talent;
If a team attends, it offers a collaborative time to address issues through the work of the program.
- Graduates will receive support from The National CAO Academy through the placement process and will have access to quality support services through their first full year on the job.